Re: [SLUG] defragmenting?

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2007 - 22:12:22 EST

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007, michael hast wrote:

> Is there a utility that is used to defrag files on a Linux system,

Not that I know, other than mkfs, but that has rather severe side effects.

> and is it advantageous to do so?

I've heard that extN doesn't get fragmented, but I don't buy it.
_Resistant_ to fragmentation, I'll buy.

> Also, is it as dangerous as it seems that it could be to run the Windows
> defragmenter on my shared partition? Thanks!

I don't see a problem with doing whatever with it when Linux isn't around.
I do it all the time with a thumb drive that I use for sneakernet (and also
boots SuSE 9.x), and a partition or two on my (formerly-)USB hard drive. I
take them to XP, it makes the changes I say (more or less). Then I take it
to Linux, same deal. Neither has a problem with it. When any OS mounts a
partition, it scans the filesystem to some extent. So as long as it writes
the changes to disk (which any well-behaved OS should do), you can do
whatever you want.

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    royalty.no-ip.org:81

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.