Re: [SLUG] Audio storage and manipulation

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2007 - 11:58:29 EST

On Monday 08 January 2007 03:21, Chuck Hast wrote:

> Also what is a AV rated drive, is that AV as in Audio Visual? This is a
> new area for me, but one that maybe I can help in, and get linux going in
> one more location.

Yes, audio visual. A multimedia rated drive. They have drives with large
buffers and higher end parts rated for the harder load multimedia puts on a
drive.

(I had been using a drive for a long time playing music 24/7 and one day the
drive light just stayed on solid and the drive was not accessable. Now the
computer has very good cooling but there it was locked up. I tried to reboot
with no luck, turned it off and on but still the light was on solid. So I
left the computer off and the next day I turned it on and the drive worked. I
have not used it for music since and its working fine. So there appears to be
more to having multimedia rated drives than just a marketing ploy to charge
more.)

Having backups of your music is also a good idea as it's usually a big effort
to recreate. I think I have something like 40G of music and I keep a copy of
it on two computers. One is intended to be a media machine where I store
music and movies I plan watching. This way I can watch and listen from any
computer in the house.

One thing I'm planning to do to lower the drive load is to use RAID. This way
the data can come off from more than one drive, and there will be a backup.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.