Re: [SLUG] Audio storage and manipulation

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2007 - 21:30:40 EST

On 1/9/07, Ken Elliott <kelliott11@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> >> Initially I will start out with regular ones since this only gets used
> ones or twice a week for a couple of hours, but as it gets more and more
> use and they depend on it more and more I will then move them towards the AV
> grade disk.
>
> Well, if t-calc is a problem, you'll know it pretty quick because you'll
> have drop-outs in the recording. But it the drives you use work, then there
> is no need to go to AV grade. It's not a matter of wearing out, it's that
> you can't record without dropping bits. So if you get cheap drives with big
> buffers and/or put them in a stripe array (RAID 0), you should be fine. You
> might consider putting them in a RAID 0+1 array, so if you lose a drive, you
> don't mess up the church service. Lots of small, cheap drives should work
> better than one big cheap drive.

I guess then the most critical is loading data into the disk, I think
I have several
disk that are on the order of 10 or 20 G, so I figure if I dedicate
one to the OS/
Swap/tools and the second to only the sound files I should be a bit better
off, but certainly am going to look at RAID. This looks like it is
going to be fun,
and someting else to learn about.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --