Re: [SLUG] Moving OpenSuse 10.2 from virtual to physical machine.

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2007 - 15:31:00 EST

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, Chris Mathey wrote:

> I have a OpenSuse 10.2 system that took me a long time to get everything
> working the way I want. I want to take this OS build that is on a VMware
> virtual machine and put it on physical hardware.
>
> The hardware going to use is Athlon 64 3400 on an Asus with ATI Radeon Xpress
> 200 northbridge. I have already done a test install of opensuse 10.2 and all
> is great.
>
> I'm looking for some ideas on the best way to approach this.
> I could maybe...
> 1. Image the virtual disks and dump the image on the new disks.
> 2. Build Suse on the new hardware, create some sort of system backup of the
> VM and restore
>
> Any good ideas? #1 seems the easiest to me. What all would I have to do?
> I'm guessing fix fstab, initrd modules, or can I just boot off the
> installation dvd and do a repair\update?

I've never gone from VMware -> physical system, but I've done other mucking
about with changing drives and I've used VMware, so here's what I'd try:

If you have room to store the as-installed system:

(inside VMware)
- tar czf /mnt/network-drive/old-hd.tar.gz --exclude='/proc' .
   (add "exclude"s for other virtual directories too)
(outside VMware)
- partition your new drive the way you want it
- mount each partition where it was
- cd newdrive
- tar xvzf /mnt/network-drive/old-hd.tar.gz .
   (If you don't have room you'll have to do this all in one step, by sharing
   the new drive over Samba and tar c | tar x into it. No compression in
   that case.)
- fix your boot sector (lilo or grub, whichever you like)
- you might need to fix your fstab too
- if this is a kitchen-sink kernel, then your devices may be supported.
   OTOH, if it's a just-what-you-need one, they may not be, and you'll need
   to use the source (Luke).

--
-eben     QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP     http://royalty.no-ip.org:81
An ASCII character walks into a bar and orders a double. "Having a bad