[SLUG] MP3 inflation

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2007 - 18:13:26 EST

I have been moving some music from CD's to a HD I have. I notice that on
the CD it is one size but as the file is moved to the HD it grows larger, here
is a example, MP3 file that was 2.4MB on the CD when moved to the HD
grew to 3.7MB. Is this a function of compression on the CD or am I seeing
something else? By the way, the size is not a direct relationship, one file
which is 4MB on the CD is 5.9MB when copied to the HD, another which
is also 4M on the CD is 5MB on the HD.

I am assuming there is some compression issue here because I have noted
that moving a MP3 file from a CD to a HD takes a whole lot longer to do
then say moving a file off of for example a CD of Linux stuff.

This is all new to me, I have not done much with audio up until now, I have
a neat GPS box that also plays MP3s and on those long flights I just pull
it out and listen to a music list rather than deal with the on board junk that
they run on the audio channels in the seats. So I have been moving all of
my CD's which have several formats on them, i.e.. CDA, FLAC, MP3, and
Ogg-Vorbis (wish my player played the latter, they are even smaller and
it appears more efficient) so I have been pulling off the MP3 files.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;