Re: [SLUG] MP3 inflation

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 13 2007 - 18:17:48 EST

On 1/13/07, Ken Elliott <kelliott11@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> >> I have been moving some music from CD's to a HD I have.
> >> I notice that on the CD it is one size but as the file is moved to the HD
> it grows larger,
>
> Chuck, when you say "moving" are you using the copy (cp) command, or loading
> the MP3 file into an application, then saving it to the hard drive? There
> should be very little difference if you copy. But if you load the MP3 file
> into an application and save, then you are actually decompressing the file,
> then recompressing - that could make a huge difference in file size.

Ken when I stick the CD in the drive I get a window that ask me if I want
to open it, play it, rip it, play it with (gives the usual list of guilty ones).
I select OPEN IT, and get a screen with several subdirectories and a
boat load of WAV files in the parent directory. I go to the directory labled
MP3 and pull the files out of there. I just select them all (^a) and the do
a copy (^c), move to the director where I am going to copy them to and
do a past, all of that because I can not figure out WHERE this system
is mounting that CD.

I just reloaded the CD in the drive and when KDE asked me what to do
with it, the file manager window shows this as the path:
system:/media/hdc/MP3

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;