Re: [SLUG] Something broke

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Jan 15 2007 - 01:02:57 EST

Chuck Hast wrote:
> On 1/14/07, Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> wrote:
>> Chuck Hast wrote:
>>
>> Are you *sure* you don't have automount or something similar running? It
>> just seems you're having a lot of trouble mounting devices.

<snip>

> Not that I know of. With regards to the CD, I looked a bit more in depth
> and
> found that according to various sources a audio CD does not get mounted
> in the same way as a data CD.

Yeah, you never asked that question, or someone would have told you that
music CDs don't get mounted the way data CDs do. You can insert a CD and
call up "grip" to rip tracks from it, and grip will just go about its
duties without any mounting occurring. Same with KSCD. (Well, maybe they
*do* mount the thing, but certainly not the way things normally get
mounted.)

> Perhaps I am still not quite on it, I did
> find
> that if I used K3b to rip the files out then they came out the same size
> as on
> the CD. I also found that in some cases the copy from the CD maybe passing
> the MP3 through the play process (not sure how) in the decompression part
> and that is why the file turns up larger when I move it to the HD, and also
> would explain why it takes the same amount of time as though the file was
> being played. So now I just use K3b to pull them off.
>
> Back on this stupid card thing, that WAS working and I have been doing it
> now for years, all of a sudden the pcmcia card / SD card combo comes up
> not wanting to work, I just have to figure out what is going on, and why
> the
> same SD card WILL mount using a USB card reader...

Some thoughts, then. It doesn't seem right that plugging in the USB
device with the SD card inserted should automatically mount the card.
I've never seen a USB device (I've used USB card readers before)
automatically mount a card device. It may be assigned a node in the /dev
infrastructure, but not mounted. Normally only automount will do such a
thing.

You say you can plug in the PCMCIA card and "the card" will be given a
device node assignment of hde? Which "card" are you talking about that
gets this assignment? Are you plugging in the PCMCIA card with the SD
card inserted and getting the assignment that way? Or are you saying
that the PCMCIA card gets this assignment by itself? Assuming the SD
card is getting this hde assignment, it doesn't make sense that you
can't mount it if you're trying to do so as root, and using the proper
options for the mount command. What error message do you get when you
try to mount the SD card while it's inserted into the PCMCIA card?
Anything in syslog or /var/log/messages?

I'm not an expert; just looking as possibilities.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster