Re: [SLUG] MP3 inflation

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2007 - 16:50:32 EST

Sorry, I don't have the original article.

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007, Chuck Hast wrote:

> On 1/13/07, Chris Mathey <slug@mathey.org> wrote:
>> Chuck Hast wrote:
>> > I have been moving some music from CD's to a HD I have. I notice that
>> > on the CD it is one size but as the file is moved to the HD it grows
>> > larger, here is a example, MP3 file that was 2.4MB on the CD when moved
>> > to the HD grew to 3.7MB. Is this a function of compression on the CD or
>> > am I seeing something else?

There is no compression on a CD generally; most CD/MP3 players can't read it
if there is. MP3s wouldn't compress much anyhow. Try doing "stat
sourcefile destfile" and see what turns up.

>> > By the way, the size is not a direct relationship, one file which is
>> > 4MB on the CD is 5.9MB when copied to the HD, another which is also 4M
>> > on the CD is 5MB on the HD.

Well, one "4MB" may be the result of rounding down from 4.4 MB and the other
up from 3.6 MB, a 22% difference swept under the rug. One digit's too small
to draw any conclusions. Unless it's really 4.0MB in both initial cases;
then I have nothing.

>> > I am assuming there is some compression issue here because I have noted
>> > that moving a MP3 file from a CD to a HD takes a whole lot longer to do
>> > then say moving a file off of for example a CD of Linux stuff.

Could be Linux doesn't handle FAT32 (is that what it is?) on a CD well.

>> Maybe it's just a difference in block size between file systems?

That would imply the blocksize on the destination filesystem is much bigger
than the blocksize on the CD, which is probably not the case. BTW, it's
FAT32 on the CD, right? What in the destination?

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    http://royalty.no-ip.org:81
SCORPIO:  Get ready for an unexpected trip when you fall screaming