Re: [SLUG] Can Firefox run any slower?

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2007 - 12:22:55 EST

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Mario Lombardo wrote:

> Seriously, I'm wondering how people run this browser. I have it on a
> Duron 950MHz with 768MB of PC100 SDRAM. Ok so it's not a speed demon.
> Other programs don't have an issue with it. The only reason I'm
> going to upgrade the hardware is because of Firefox! It's just FF
> that runs slow as can be. I run extensions, but as I recall, the same
> issue occurs when I fire up the blank profile with no extensions. I'm
> so frustrated. Does anyone have a miracle cure or tip on performance?

Vaguely-related ideas:

Check your RAM use. I'm using:

eben@pc:~$ top -n 1 -b | grep firefox
  9496 eben 0 4388 1044 1040 wait S 0.0 0.1 0:00 firefox
  9518 eben 0 153m 82m 15m rest_init S 0.0 8.1 35:32 firefox-bin
             virtual -^ ^ ^
                 resident / |
                         shared /

6 windows, probably 15 tabs open. Athlon 2GHz. FF up for >4d.

Mem: 1036908k total, 870116k used, 166792k free, 64552k buffers
Swap: 3212988k total, 229276k used, 2983712k free, 383336k cached

You might try eliminating unneeded stuff in your X server -- FF may not be
inherently slow, but if it's engaged in conversation with X and X takes a
while to get back to it, FF could appear slow.

Reduce your X server from 32 to 15/16 bits, if that doesn't bother you.

Add RAM (always a good thing).

Is it slow on startup only, or all the time?

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    royalty.no-ip.org:81
TAURUS:  You will never find true happiness - what you gonna