Re: [SLUG] Can Firefox run any slower?

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylan@hardison.net)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2007 - 09:11:22 EST

Spake Paul M Foster on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 at 06:22PM -0500:

> And most coders either write or find helper libraries, functions or
> classes that make their work easier. If you're always having to trim the
> whitespace off a string and lop off the last two characters routinely,
> you're gonna write or find some code that does this. But if the code is
> sloppily and wastefully written, right there's another source of bloat.

Shared objects do help, a lot.
The code in a shared object is mmap(3posix)'d in,
so not all of it is in RAM. Also, parts of it that were used once and
not again during the life of the process are candidates for swapping.

Also, smarter compilers could statically link in code that is used and
ignore the unused functions.

However, I think Gecko's problem is that it is over-engineered.
This is a grave sickness that strikes down many good programmers. It's
mostly because they don't have adequate tools of abstraction for the
*big* problems, and so they try to abstract the simple problems away...

I don't like or use KDE[1], but I do somethings like konqueror/khtml is a
better thing.

[1] I do use kword, as it is the smallest thing I can find to write word
docs for Gordon Rule classes. Abiword is 20 megs larger because of
dependencies.

--
Great acts are made up of small deeds.
              -- Lao Tsu