Re: [SLUG] Sabayon test ride and severe warning

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2007 - 12:34:23 EST

On Wednesday 17 January 2007 18:14, Mario Lombardo wrote:
> I hope you get that data back. Big ouch! Do the packages it uses
> have to be made for it, or can you use canned Debian, etc. packages?
> Yes, I'm too lazy to look it up :)

Having now worked a bit more with Sabayon I'm happy over the choice. The front
runner of yum, emerge, is a simple and workable way of managing your apps.

On this particular machine I have everything under the sun that I need to do
developing, do graphics work and manage my business, and have fun on when the
moment arise. I'm very impressed with how everything I've looked for have
mostly already been installed, or was instantly found through emerge.

When I've evaluated Debian I just saw how far behind the development cycle it
was, though for a valid reason - to be stable, never interested me enough.

At this point I think I can say that it looks like I've been missing out.
Granted distro's grow and mature and so unbeknownst to me, maybe I've just
stepped into this nirvana. Some of you are already well versed in the Debian
way and might just be smiling knowingly... Paul comes to mind. :)

I should stress that I'm a very picky user who have worked on Linux for a
living since the mid 90's. I'm very picky with having things work certain
ways. Obviously this is too early to tell, but if it turns out to be stable
I'm certainly going to use Sabayon on more desktop machines.

This last move comes from having the last drop of issues with Fedora. I've
worked with all the big distro's and usually I've always come back to
RH/Fedora due to the RH support and config standard they have. My first
Gentoo (a few years back) had a very nice look, but it too came short
someplace.

The biggest shortcoming with Sabayon I've found have been in managing hardware
like monitors. Oh, and CUPS did not work out of the box (or DVD).

Next I'm going to throw it on my teenage daughter's machine and light up her
day. (She's often my test bed.)

Somehow Sabayon missed adding Gimp to their menu, and did not detect it, but
2.3 was installed and looks very nice. (Interesting improvements.)

For those into graphics one of the most interesting vector based graphics
programs being ported to Linux. (Basically with vector graphics you don't
have pixellation due to always using a reference point that all is drawn
from. This means that you can zoom in (actually) 25,000 times and not have
any pixellation.

Music should not be left out as it comes with a realtime kernel which becomes
important when you do more serious music work. There are a number of good
players, I prefer Amarok, which plays all I've thrown at it. Ditto with
RealPlayer, but not with Flash 9. However that is very easy to install as all
you have to do is to copy it to a plugin directory and reload the browsers.

There is a slight version difference too on what is in emerge. Adobe just
recently released the production version of V9. Which is 9.0.31.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.