Re: [SLUG] Spam from forms

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2007 - 00:58:36 EST

Ken Elliott wrote:
>>> And I can't see how a script from somewhere else could feed data into a
> form and then submit it.
>
> It doesn't actually fill out the form. It simply sends a page request that
> looks like what you'd get by filling out a form.
>
> If I load your form, fill it out and hit 'submit', your form sends a string
> that contains fieldnames and data. If I craft a script that simply sends
> the same string, your server will react the same way as a form.

Hmm. Still not quite sure. The forms normally get emailed to me from
within the PHP script. The headers on the email look as though they were
mailed from the site, not from some other email address. Which means
they're doing this whole thing via http. So what you're saying is they
connect to NKS's SLUG server on port 80, And then instead of simply
feeding a URL for a server to return, they construct a text file that
looks like what I'd normally get back from the form. That is, something
like:

header info
Name: spam content
Email: more spam content
other POST variables and spam content
closing info

They send this as a page request to the server. The server processes it
as though it actually came from viewing the page, emailing me the
"response".

Does that sound right?

Paul

--