Re: [SLUG] Messed up boot

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sat Feb 03 2007 - 16:42:53 EST

On Saturday 03 February 2007 16:25, Joe Brandt wrote:
> I have loaded a distro on an external hard drive. Now I can not boot (even
> internal) unless the external is present. How can I configure Grub to list
> external if present and ignore if not? At present, I am dropped into a
> root console (to manually fsck drives) if the drive is not present.

What you did is put the boot decisions on the external drive. When it boots it
looks for a device to read the bootsector from. When you disconnect the
external drive it did not find any boot sectors.

However it is easy to fix. Simple get some internal boot device to have grub
on it. Could even be a USB drive. Then copy the lines that boots from the
external setup to the internal grub.

The easiest may be to make a minimal install on your internal drive, then
modify that config file. Don't forget that the first drive is drive 0.

You can play with the boot sequence by pressing e for edit in the menu. Then
alter the drive number, or whatever, press enter when done and then b for
boot and it will try this once to boot with your changes. (Try that with
LILO!)

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.