Re: [SLUG] QEMU now completely free software

From: Ian C. Blenke (ian@blenke.com)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2007 - 02:06:08 EST

Jonathon Conte wrote:
> Yesterday there was a new release of the QEMU accelerator module
> (kqemu). One of the changes is that the previously non-free module is
> now licensed under the GPL v2. While QEMU itself has been available
> under a free license for some time, it runs significantly slower
> without the accelerator module. The license change is great news for
> virtualization enthusiasts looking for a free (libre) alternative to
> the other solutions currently available (Xen, KVM, VMware, etc).

Likewise, another virtualization engine, virtual-box, was recently
opensourced.

    http://virtual-box.org

Virtual-box has the added benefit of device drivers (like VMWare) to
speed things up within the guests. Also, like VMWare, it will use
Pacifica (Intel VT [vmx]) or Pacifica (AMD V [svm]) if available.

kqemu should gain some of that vmx/svm compatibility soon.

For those that didn't catch the 2.6.20 announcement, kvm is _only_
vmx/svm, and there doesn't seem to be any rush to change that,
particularly with kqemu being opensourced.

    http://kvm.sf.net

kqemu, kvm, virtual-box, xen's hvm: the fun common bit between all of
them is QEMU.

There has been quite a bit of virtualization news recently. I'm looking
forward to some great stuff hitting this year.

<ob plug>
Also, if you're interested in Xen, check out my recent blog posts.
</ob>

- Ian C. Blenke <ian@blenke.com> http://ian.blenke.com/