[SLUG] Request for info on setting up a WoW-level server center...

From: James Miller (otherworld@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2007 - 20:23:29 EST

  Not looking for specific details, but the basics of how they're set up.
Working on a project centering around a MMORPG server center equal to the
level of WoW, and just don't know enough about them. I know that you guys
are probably the best source of info for this type of info. Any general info
or links would be greatly appreciated.

  First thing, since my research shows that the WoW setup cost $10 million,
I'm figuring that it'll now cost about $20 million to do an equivialant
setup.

Info needed:

>What sort of systems are preferred, and how many. (I'm assuming either
>Linux or Unix as OS.)

>How much memory storage?

>How much floor space should be dedicated?

>What are the general power requirements for the full center? (Assuming not
>only a battery backup system, but also a full generator for each center.)

>What sort of connections do I need going in/out of the center? (I'm from
>"back-in-the-day" when a T1 was impressive.)

>Where are the best locations in the country for setting up two (or maybe
>three) centers? (Assuming that they'll be in separate locations in the US,
>on separate power grids.)

  Many thanks in advance!

Erin