Re: [SLUG] Brother printer?

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2007 - 15:29:09 EST

William Coulter wrote:
> I am thinking about getting a Brother laser printer but I wanted to hear from the linux community.
> I would set it up in a small home network kinda setting. Does any one have expierence with this
> setting? Does any one have anything good to say about Brother or are they just bad news? I am
> looking at the HL-5250dn or the HL-2070n.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> William

Although I have no personal experience with Brothers, when I was
shopping laser printers, I did my homework and asked around. The
printer technician that comes to the office to wrench on our machines
told me that HP, Lexmark and a few others of the major brands are the
way to go. He told me that whatever I got, to stay away from Brothers.
Apparently, they make a cheap printer. That's their specialty. I was
told that the supplies are nearly impossible to rebuild properly and
that the printer itself is prone to breaking. Since that's third-party
testimonial, please take it with a grain of salt, but that's one of the
primary reasons that I wound up with an HP. He told me that they are
nearly indestructible and that they are also very serviceable if
anything does go wrong. Anyway, I hope that helps some. My HP has been
wonderful so far.

--Michael