RE: [SLUG] Windows VM on Linux

From: Jonathon Conte (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2007 - 02:27:52 EST

>From: "Chuck Hast" <wchast@gmail.com>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: [SLUG] Windows VM on Linux
>Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 21:47:23 -0500
>
>Folks,
>I have tried to run two VB programs under Wine, they start up but when
>they attempt to access com ports or some files they abend. Seems that
>there are some issues between Wine and some of the VB stuff.
>
>I have a radio show that I have to attend this weekend and am trying
>to figure what to do, I do not want to have to unload Linux to boot
>windows,
>so am looking at some of the VM's, I need something that I can get up and
>running in short order, any recommendations?
>

>--
>Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --

I have only played around with QEMU but it is very easy to get working. Here
is a quick and dirty tutorial:

If you are using Ubuntu/Debian, it is in the official repositories. Just run
this command with root access:

    apt-get install qemu

This command creates a 6 gigabyte disk image:

    qemu-img create windows.raw 6G

Then, put the Windows CD in your optical drive and run this command to boot
from the CD while using the above image file as the primary HDD:

    qemu -hda windows.raw -hdc /dev/cdrom -boot d

Once the Windows installation is complete, this command boots from the disk
image:

    qemu -hda windows.raw

There are many more options but that covers the basics.

Jonathon

FREE online classifieds from Windows Live Expo – buy and sell with people
you know
http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwex0010000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://expo.live.com?s_cid=Hotmail_tagline_12/06