Re: [SLUG] Why is time slipping?

From: Ian C. Blenke (ian@blenke.com)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2007 - 09:50:59 EST

Paul M Foster wrote:

> Folks:
>
> My wife's computer time is slipping, regardless of what I do.
> According to ps ax, it's running the following:
>
> /usr/sbin/ntpd -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -u 116:116 -g
>
> The server(s) being queries are pool.ntp.org.
>
> With the -g parameter, if the network time and machine time are far
> off from each other, ntp should simply reset the time properly. But
> that's not what's happening.

ntpd only "drifts" the clock slowly to bring time into sync with remote
clocks.

If your system clock is "too far off", you should use ntpdate to set
your clock:

    /etc/init.d/ntpd stop # stop ntpd
    ntpdate pool.ntp.org # sync your system clock to the remote ntp
servers
    hwclock --systohc # set your CMOS RTC to the system clock
    /etc/init.d/ntpd start # restart ntpd to keep the system clock
in sync with remote servers

Now your clock should stay in sync.

 - Ian C. Blenke <ian@blenke.com> http://ian.blenke.com