Re: [SLUG] SLUG Website Update

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2007 - 01:25:05 EST

Paul M Foster wrote:
> Folks:
>
> FWIW, I just spent several days going through an evolution to redo the
> SLUG website. For years, I used m4ph, make, and a variety of tools to
> merge raw content with headers and footers to make webpages for the
> site. Pretty clunky, and the look was kinda cheesy. But the maintenance
> was cheap and I didn't want to bother with it.
>
> However, after spending almost a year writing internal applications for
> my business in PHP, I decided to update the SLUG site and change the way
> the pages were generated. And I looked around for some CSS that looked
> clean and decent to hang it on.

Okay, after spending *HOURS* working on all these complaints (and
removing people from my fan club), I think I have most of the issues
taken care of. This reminded me of why I don't like CSS, and why I
*hate* IE. This is why I coded the original site with tables instead of
CSS (plus the fact that CSS was in its infancy at the time). The only
issue left was the one about the Email and Officers pages. I'm still
considering that one, though I'm inclined to leave the Officers page,
since it clarifies what's in the bylaws.

Thanks for the feedback, much as I hated making changes just to satisfy
IE users. ;-}

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster