Re: [SLUG] daylight savings?

From: SOTL (sotl155360@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2007 - 12:25:10 EST

On Tuesday 27 February 2007 19:55, Max F Lang wrote:
> On Sunday 18 February 2007 07:23 pm, Ron Youvan wrote:
> > As a HAM Radio operator
> > As a Slackware user, 100% I have not heard of any automatic anything.
>
> from today's Slack-announce email:
>
> [slackware-announce]  glibc-zoneinfo US Daylight Savings Time changes
>
> New glibc-zoneinfo packages are available for Slackware 8.1, 9.0, 9.1,
> 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, and 11.0 to update the timezone information to
> account for the extention of Daylight Savings Time (DST) in the US.
> This is an important update as any machine in the US (in an area using
> DST) running Slackware 10.2 or earlier will otherwise have a system
> clock off by one hour for a month starting on March 11.  It is strongly
> suggested to upgrade this package before March 11, 2007.
>
> Slackware 11.0 is not affected by this particular US DST issue, but
> an update to the latest zoneinfo database is provided anyway.
>
> NOTE:  All these packages are the *same*, but with different package
> names.  If you're not concerned about that, you may use any one of
> these packages to upgrade all your Slackware boxes, 8.1 or newer.
>
> Max, WB5UDC
> and fellow Slacker.

 It has been MY experience that if you set your computer clock to GMT Time and
then set your bios clock to local and CUT OFF on line web time correction you
can and will avoid a number of negative time issues including your clock
changing time randomly usually the hours and many negative supprises with the
operating system.

Frank

PS. I do not use a one line appoint book to keep track of meetings. the