[SLUG] DNS (bind 9) questions

From: Chris Mathey (slug@mathey.org)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 15:32:56 EST

I have a local DNS server I use for internal name resolution which uses
forwarders for external resolution.

I use a third party for internet resolution of my public services such
as smtp,http, et al. (these are just NAT'ed to my internal server)

I have an external mail server that receives mail for my domain and
relays it to my internal mail server. A,PTR,MX records are all correct

My issue is how to internally resolve the address of my external mail
server. I tried to just put a A record for the external server in my
local DNS zone but it just ignores it. I assume because I am not SOA?

I would rather not define any sub domains.

thanks!