[SLUG] Need new DNS and email provider

From: Mark Polhamus (meplists@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2007 - 09:08:10 EST

I'm shopping for a new provider for DNS for my personal domain and basic
email service.

What I need is:

- A POP email account with a normal amount of storage.
- Catch-all service (all email addressed to any address in a domain is
directed to a catch-all account).
- Good spam filtering with quarantine and whitelist. No reliance on
unreasonable RBLs which do crazy things like bouncing all email from
large providers.
- Domain service with the ability to configure easily through a web
interface.
- A company with a good reputation for respecting customers and Internet
standards -- and for technical competence.

Would be nice to have:

- Secure (encrypted) POP access
- Privacy feature for domain registration (doesn't show your personal
contact information)
- Multiple POP accounts without a big jump in fees.
- Multiple forwarding addresses without fees.

Actual web hosting is not required.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Here's why:

I've been using DomainDirect, but their service has been abysmal lately.
 This week they rolled out an "improved" spam filter system which is
bouncing all my incoming emails back to the senders. From their status
page http://www.domaindirect.com/network.html:

> Date Posted: March 9th 2007
> Time: 12:00pm EST
> when messages are delivered to their "Catch-All" or "Forward Only" email
> addresses. We have identified the problem and we are currently in the
> process of developing a global fix for all clients.
>
> ***NOTE***: This issue can be resolved by logging into your Domain
> Direct control panel. Enter your Email Defense icon, click on "Configure
> Recipient Allow" and change the option to "Accept and bounce the
> message". Click Update to save the changes.
>
> Current Status:On going
> Updated Status on: Mar. 9th 2007 @ 4:00pm EST

I use my "Catch-all" address for everything, so all email to me is
bouncing :(

(fortunately I use a different provider for some of my email accounts
like this one I use for list subscriptions).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-- Mark Polhamus