[SLUG] partimage questions

From: Bill Glidden (bill@thegliddenfamily.com)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2007 - 12:45:46 EST

I have about 15 Linux workstations to install/configure. They are all
identical. I want to use partimage to create a disk image that I can restore
to these machines. So far I'm on the right track, yes?

Ok, so I apt-get partimage. I run it, and it can't make an image of a
mounted filesystem. Ok. So I downloaded an iso image of a linux rescue cd
that has partimage already installed on it.

My question, and I have the feeling that I'm being really stupid here . When
I boot from the CD, and I run partimage to create the image of the harddrive
(/dev/sda1), where the heck am I supposed to write this image file? All I
have is a RAM disk with insufficient space to hold the 2 gb that it needs to
write. Can't write to the harddrive because that's not mounted.

Someone please hand me a dunce cap and I will go sit in the corner. It's
days like this when I wish I had gone into something easy like brain surgery
. :-)

Bill Glidden