Re: [SLUG] OT: cheap server

From: Robert Snyder (robertsnyder@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 01 2007 - 21:46:08 EDT

On 4/1/07, William Coulter <wrcoulter30@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a chance to buy a cheap server from Ebay. I don't do this
> often. I have a choice of a
> poweredge 1650 p3 1.4, a poweredge 1550 p3 1.3, and a poweredge 2450 p3
> 933. What do you think?
> I like the 1650 because it is the faster one but does it make a difference
> with the model type?

You have a 50/50 chance fo them lasting. I have gotten some great deals on
rack mount servers, 2 SGI intel based servers that were really made by
VALinux and a some dells and 2 X-Series IBM 1u racks.

I have had some issues with some after about of year of heavy usage but
others no problems at all. If the price is right and as long as you go in
not expecting them to last longer than what it takes for you to get yoru cna
you should be fine.

I am studding for CNA and I don't have anything to use.