[SLUG] new motherboard

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2007 - 18:02:06 EDT

Well, I did it. Took apart the DVR (which is really a bog-standard
computer with a COTS OS and a fancy video card) to replace some
parts, and when I reassembled it, no blinkenlights. No POST. Not
even a BIOS beep when I removed all the RAM. Just to make sure I wasn't
asserting mobo failure unnecessarily, I disconnected all drives,
unplugged all cards, removed all headers except for fans, and swapped
the video card with a known good one, and got the same behavior. So I'm
pretty sure it's a dead motherboard, brought on be inadequate antistatic
procedures.

This is really a crisis+opportunity. The DVR was needing to be upgraded
anyhow. My main machine (this one) is largely the same (2 GHz Athlon,
ASUS A7V333 [here] / A7V266 [there], Nvidia GeForce 4). So what I plan
to do is move this one to there and replace this one, not necessarily in
that order. It won't be much of an upgrade for the DVR (133 MHz memory
bus vs 100 MHz), but hey.

So what should I look for for this one? I'm thinking:

1. dual-core AMD something
2. HSF to go with #1
3. maybe PS if mine won't handle it
4. PATA card (if the motherboard doesn't do PATA) (until my old drives
    get upgraded)
5. sound card (onboard sound is usually crappy) (ALSA needs to like
    it.)

Maybes:
6. RAM (if it's changed)
7. video card (DVI out)

Help me shop please. I haven't looked it hardware in a couple years, so I'm
a bit out of touch.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81
A: Because it looks dumb and is hard to read.