Re: [SLUG] new motherboard

From: Robert Snyder (robertsnyder@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2007 - 14:19:38 EDT

On 4/5/07, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, Robert Snyder wrote:
>
> > On 4/4/07, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> OK, Opteron is by Intel, and AthX2 is dual-core, yes?
> >
> > Ok you just insulted me. Did you just call an Opteron an intel chip.
> > OMGWTFBBQ(j/k)
> > No Opterons are the server grade form of the Athlon 64. Opterons are the
> > competition to Intel Xeon processors.
> > They came in a couple different pin layouts
> >
> > Oringal 940, AM2, Socket T
>
> Sorry, sorry. :-) Another question: In shopping for CPUs, I see some
> where the model name includes "(65W)" and other, seemingly identical ones,
> where it doesn't. Case in point:
>
> Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (65W)
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103749
>
> Athlon 64 X2 4600+
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103751
>
> You pay $4 extra for the "(65W)" variant. They have the same cache sizes
> (L1=128K+128K, L2=2*512K). I see on other sites that the non-65W version
> has a power consumption of 89W, so my WAG is that the 65W version is lower
> power and therefore slower?

The lower wattage does not equal slower preformance. Actually it is the
other way around.

a. less power consumption = cooler processor
b. Less heat while on load
c. longer processor life.

the extra 4 dollars is well worth it. granted it would be better if they
offered 45 watt rohs complaint chips but that is life. But a dvr would
benefit the lower power consumption and heat. As some one who had to deal
with heat issues with commerical dvr products.