Re: [SLUG] kernel source

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2007 - 00:58:59 EDT

Eben King wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007, Paul M Foster wrote:
>
>> Eben King wrote:
>>> I get a fatal error when I try to install the Nvidia driver. It says:
>>>
>>> ERROR: Unable to determine the version of the kernel sources located in
>>> '/lib/modules/2.6.20.6/source'.
>>>
>>> I got the source from kernel.org and used it to compile the running
>>> kernel. /lib/modules/2.6.20.6/source points to
>>> /usr/src/linux-2.6.20.6 which contains:
>>>
>>> total 9.5M
>>> 4.0K arch/ 8.0K fs/ 88K MAINTAINERS 4.0K scripts/
>>> 4.0K block/ 4.0K include/ 56K Makefile 4.0K security/
>>> 20K COPYING 4.0K init/ 4.0K mm/ 4.0K sound/
>>> 96K CREDITS 4.0K ipc/ 176K Module.symvers 1.1M System.map
>>> 4.0K crypto/ 4.0K Kbuild 4.0K net/ 4.0K usr/
>>> 4.0K Documentation/ 4.0K kernel/ 20K README 7.9M vmlinux*
>>> 4.0K drivers/ 8.0K lib/ 4.0K REPORTING-BUGS
>>>
>>> "make menuconfig" shows, in "General setup -->" :
>>> () Local version - append to kernel release
>>> [ ] Automatically append version information to the version string
>>>
>>> What else do I need to do?
>>>
>>> In the meantime, are there any other X drivers I could use until
>>> that's up, down to and including plain VGA? Framebufffer? 800x600
>>> SVGAP?
>>>
>>> I tried "nv", but apparently the version I have doesn't support this
>>> GPU (Geforce 7600GS). How do I get a more recent one? I went to (a
>>> mirror of) x.org, but they don't have binaries and the source is in
>>> some system called "git". What do I do with that?
>>>

>> You go to the nvidia site (don't know the URL, off the top of my
>> head). They have a page with Linux drivers (actually a single current
>> driver for most all of their products). You download it and run it.
>
> And that brings me to paragraph 1.
>
>> That's why I'm running the nv driver myself. My GPU is not one of the
>> more exotic NVidia cards.
>
> That's great, but I don't see my GPU listed in nv's blurb in
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log when I use it. Where do I get a more recent
> version, or the source code thereto? Alternatively, maybe I missed it.
> Is "Geforce 7600GS" in yours, and what version of xorg do you have?

Oh I see, you want a newer version of the *nv* driver.

Mine includes "GeForce 7600 GS" in my Xorg log file. According to the
log, I'm running X 7.1.1, released 12 May 2006. I installed stock X and
nv driver from Debian Sid some months ago.

It looks (from aptitude) like I have installed the following relevant
packages:

xserver-xorg-video-nv 1:1.2.0-3
xserver-xorg 1:7.1.0-7

Paul