Re: [SLUG] kernel source

From: Jonathon Conte (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2007 - 03:36:31 EDT

>From: Eben King <eben01@verizon.net>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: Re: [SLUG] kernel source
>Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 00:41:51 -0400 (EDT)
>
>. . .
>Isn't there a way to upgrade _just_ xorg, so I can use its "nv" driver?
>What I really want is Nvidia's "nvidia" module, but "make ..." in the
>kernel source (from kernel.org, and the I made the running kernel from that
>sourca) doesn't create the magic file.
>. . .

The idea behind releases is that a given group of specific versions of
packages are tested and (in theory) work together without problems. If you
start backporting pieces of a release, especially major packages such as the
kernel, X, or important libraries, you indirectly forfeit that assurance of
stability and may inadvertently introduce incompatibilities. Many key system
components tie in with X (every toolkit, the kernel, DRI, etc.) While it may
be possible to upgrade just X, I really wouldn't recommend it.

Jonathon