[SLUG] Monitor issue

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2007 - 19:02:03 EDT

Folks:

This is a shot in the dark, but I'll try anyway.

My wife's ViewSonic VP series (professional, flat panel) monitor died
over the weekend, so we went and picked up a ViewSonic VX922 monitor
(also flat panel) so she could continue working. Since we do print work,
the trueness of monitor color is important. The VP monitor was expensive
and featured its own color calibration built in. For the VX922, we had
to buy color calibration software. (All this is while we await the old
monitor's repair by ViewSonic.) Both monitors feature a DVI interface.

The problem is this: either when the monitor was hooked up, or after it
was calibrated (we don't recall), on certain solid backgrounds, it has
"scintillations"-- little flashing pixels in random patterns over a
small area. Almost like TV static, but not quite so extensive. The color
of the background on which this will appear is not consistent (not
always blue or black or white or whatever). It's more annoying than
anything else, but it still shouldn't be happening.

Does anyone know enough about color calibration software or video
hardware to say whether this is a hardware or software issue? And if so,
what's the cause?

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster