RE: [SLUG] Windows resize

From: Jonathon Conte (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon May 07 2007 - 22:13:51 EDT

>From: "Chuck Hast" <wchast@gmail.com>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: [SLUG] Windows resize
>Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 21:48:13 -0400
>
>I purchased a machine today, it was preloaded with the usual MS OS... Has
>a 250G HD, so I figured rather than blow the mess away I would keep it for
>a couple of programs that I can run Windows on. I put my SuSE DVD in the
>machine and it checked it out and gave me the option of re-sizing the
>windows
>partition, all went well until I got to the point where it was to do so, it
>gave
>me a error and failed. Vista is using NTFS, I have resized NTFS with SuSE
>before, and never had this problem. Anyone run into this one?
>
>--
>Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --

Not to grill you too much but there are certainly plenty of outlets where
you could buy a PC without "the usual MS OS".

http://www.system76.com/
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/e510_nseries
http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/23168/

In any case, here are a couple pages with tips on dual booting Vista and
Linux:

http://apcmag.com/5046/how_to_dual_boot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first
http://apcmag.com/node/5162/

Basically it seems like a clean Vista install without using the entire HDD
is the easiest and safest route to go.

Jonathon