[SLUG] USB <-> serial cables

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed May 09 2007 - 23:22:02 EDT

Anybody used a USB <-> serial cable? I had this bright idea of hooking my
UPS to the computer. I understand lots of nifty stuff can be accomplished
through such a connection.

Unfortunately, my UPS's cable is serial on both ends, and my computer's sole
serial port is occupied by a modem. I looked aroung for a USB variant.
Since the "S" in "USB" stands for "serial", I thought it shouldn't be too
hard to find. Unfortunately, it was. The only USB cables I found had an
RJ-45 on the other end.

So, I figured I could put either the modem (it only gets Caller-ID data, so
flow control and speed aren't that important) or the UPS (2400 BPS sez the
manual, so ditto) on the USB <-> serial cable I have. But, I've never used
it but once (and that was in The Other OS). Help?

--
"The Web brings people together because no matter what kind of a
  twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals