Re: [SLUG] USB <-> serial cables

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Thu May 10 2007 - 11:24:36 EDT

On Thu, 10 May 2007, Levi Bard wrote:

>> Wow, $45. I can get this serial card
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815166012
>>
>> for $30. If I had an open PCI slot it would be cheaper. I was hoping to
>> do it with what I have.
>
> http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Serial.html
> http://www.provantage.com/trendnet-tu-s9~7TDWU00C.htm

This http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x356.html indicates I can just use
my USB <-> serial cable as if it were hooked up to a normal serial port
(after some OS tweaking). That can't be fully true without some fancy
escaping going on somewhere, as USB only has two lines (data+ and data-),
whereas serial has a bunch (7?). The second link says "Full RS-232 modem
control signals, RS-232 data signals; TxD, RxD, RTS, CTS, DSR, DTR, DCD, RI,
GND" so that must be the case. I'm thinking I'll have better luck using the
adapter for the modem and hooking the UPS to the real serial port. I might
need to use software flow control in the modem.

Ah, to be back on my former motherboard with two serial ports...

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    royalty.mine.nu:81
TAURUS:  You will never find true happiness - what you gonna