RE: [SLUG] Music Download Services

From: Jonathon Conte (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun May 20 2007 - 23:45:53 EDT

>From: Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: [SLUG] Music Download Services
>Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 23:19:12 -0400
>
>Folks:
>
>I've got about all the CDs I want at this point, and am getting kinda tired
>of buying a CD to get one song. So I thought maybe I'd move into the 21st
>century with everyone else, and look into purchasing music by the song.
>
>So does anyone know of services which currently allow downloading of
>individual songs without DRM or the necessity to use someone's proprietary
>player? BTW, I'm talking about *legal* downloads, folks.
>
>Paul
>
>--
>Paul M. Foster

Check out http://magnatune.com/ and http://www.allofmp3.com/. Despite the
latter's name, additional formats besides MP3 are available. The legality of
allofmp3 has been questioned by some so it may or may not meet your needs.

Also, keep in mind that while the MP3 format does not support digital
restriction management like WMA and AAC, it is a proprietary codec that is
patent encumbered. If you want to invest your money in a format that
respects your freedom, then WAV, FLAC, and Ogg Vorbis are more appropriate
formats to consider. Many portable digital audio players include Vorbis
support and some offer FLAC as well. The iAudio U3 by Cowon is one such
player but there are several others on the market today.

Jonathon

Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You’ll love Windows Live
Hotmail.
http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507