Re: [SLUG] Music Download Services

From: Jonathon Conte (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon May 21 2007 - 01:18:30 EDT

>From: Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: Re: [SLUG] Music Download Services
>Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 00:36:25 -0400
>
>Magnatune apparently has a *very* limited selection. I say that because the
>particular song I'm looking for is by a current band and is, I believe, a
>Grammy winner.
>
>Allofmp3 is an interesting place. They require a minimum payment of $10,
>for which they allow 50+ song downloads. They have a sidebar something to
>the effect of "Are Downloads Legal?". Their answer to that question is:
>
><quote>
>
>The availability over the Internet of the Allofmp3.com materials is
>authorized by the license # LS-3М-05-03 of the Russian Multimedia and
>Internet Society (ROMS). In accordance to the licenses' terms MediaServices
>pays license fees for all materials downloaded from the site subject to the
>Law of the Russian Federation "On Copyright and Related Rights". All these
>materials are solely for personal use. Any further distribution, resale or
>broadcasting are prohibited.

></quote>
>
>I just wonder if our beloved RIAA would go along with this. Moreover, I
>have to wonder if my white butt is covered by their assurances.
>
>I love WAV format, just because it doesn't have lossy compression. But the
>files are *huge*. Are there any non-lossy formats (without DRM etc.)?
>
>Paul

FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) is what you should take a look at. It
offers lossless compression with support for tagging and cover art. I use it
to archive all of my audio CDs so that I don't need to rip them again when
the next best codec comes around. Most Linux distros support FLAC
out-of-the-box. WAVs are typically reduced in size 30-40% when encoded with
FLAC but YMMV as it is somewhat dependent on the type of music that is being
processed. Here are some more resources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Lossless_Audio_Codec
http://flac.sourceforge.net/

Jonathon

Live Hotmail.