RE: [SLUG] Cellular Data cards Linux

From: Mason Mullins (mason_mullins@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue May 22 2007 - 21:52:46 EDT

As a trucker I need to stay connected pretty much everywhere. I am using a
Sierra 860 Aircard with Cingular and use wvdial to dial out with it as a
normal modem. Sierra has some information on their site as to how to set it
up, but basically you download the firmware from them and copy it to
/lib/firmware then set up your dialer.

Wvdial is about the easiest to set up but I've also used it with kppp and it
worked just fine. Connection speeds are actually a bit higher than if using
the same card in Windows.

The Sierra 775 card also works and is set up the same way. You can google
Sierra aircard linux and find the information about setting it up. If you
want to use pppd directly instead of using a dialer app just set up the pap
and chap files for it, but I find using the dialer to be much easier as you
don't need to bother with those files at all.

Some info the Sierra site doesn't provide: User name is
ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM and password is CINGULAR1 (both all caps).

The number for the modem to dial is *99#

Oh, and for some reason gppp doesn't seem to like the card and if it
connects at all the connection is slow.

I've had my Aircard for over a year and have had no troubles at all even
though Cingular will tell you it won't work with Linux LOL.

Mason

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.