Re: [SLUG] Cellular Data cards Linux

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 24 2007 - 08:32:56 EDT

On 5/23/07, Chuck Hast <wchast@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/23/07, Mason Mullins <mason_mullins@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I forgot a couple of things.
> >
> > You'll want to write a edev rule for the card. Here's mine:
> >
> > BUS=="pcmcia", SYSFS{prod_id1}=="Sierra Wireless", SYSFS{prod_id2}=="AC860",
> > NAME="modem"
> >
> > And here's the wvdial.conf:
> >
> > [Dialer Defaults]
> > Init1 = at+cgdcont= 1,"IP","isp.cingular"
> > #Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> > Modem Type = Analog Modem
> > Baud = 115200
> > New PPPD = yes
> > Modem = /dev/ttyS0
> > ISDN = 0
> > Phone = *99#
> > Password = "CINGULAR1"
> > Username = "ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM"
> >

> > It's been a while since I used Suse but you might have to copy the firmware
> > file to /etc/pcmcia/cis instead of /lib/firmware. I seem to recall something
> > or other different in Suse about that.
> >
> > Anyway, I have had it working in Suse and am currently using it in both
> > Slackware and Ubuntu.
> >

> Thank you. I have a GT Max 3.6 express, it appears that there are drivers
> for it. I have go to download them. If it does not work I will take it back and
> get the SW card. I have used the SW cards on CDPD, and also on some
> early GPRS., but it has been a while.

Here is where I am on this, the card looks like USB serial ports, I found that
I had to do a modprob to insert a module:
modprobe usbserial vendor=0x0af0 product=0x6701

Then I can run a program called umtsmon, which then starts talking to the
modem. I am having to run it as root because one of the 3 ports, ttyUSB2
for some reason only has root access. Not sure why, but now the next step
is to start passing data. I have to figure out where to stick that modprob
command as it needs to be done after the card is inserted and running.
Once I get that automated then I need to figure out why the one port has
root access only and get that fixed as umtsmon will run as a non-root
process just fine. By way umtsmon is a general purpose tool for these
cards you might give it a look, it is on SourceForge:
http://umtsmon.sourceforge.net/

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;