[SLUG] Encoded characters in email

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Jun 10 2007 - 00:26:17 EDT

Folks:

Speaking of conversations we've had before, we had one a while back
which never got fully resolved to my knowledge.

In emails there are often things like this:

img src=3Dsomelink

Note the =3D. From what I've been able to deduce, this seems to be some
sort of way to encode non-alphanumeric characters. 3D is the hex for an
equals sign (=). For a period (.), one would have =2E. It happens
routinely throughout certain emails, and I'm wondering what agent or
facility along the way translates non-alphanumeric characters into this
format. Anyone know?

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster