[SLUG] Fedora 5 w/ CF card won't boot with 2.6.20 kernels

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2007 - 07:38:12 EDT

I have a machine that currently runs the 2.6.19-1.2288 kernel just
fine, but when I try to run the latest stock kernel, it doesn't get
past this:

ide: failed opcode was: unknown
ide0: reset: success
had: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }

This repeats several times and doesn't seem to stop. As a result, my
computer won't boot from the CF card boot partition, which is
/dev/hda1. This only happens with 2.6.20 kernels and newer.

Aside from recompiling the kernel, what else should I try? I'm
thinking I should pass arguments to the kernel from grub, or helping
the kernel with an equipped init ramdisk (initrd)? I'm not sure where
to start or what exactly to do though. I'm not even sure what could
be missing that's in the 2.6.19 kernel. Lost here :(

/mario