Re: [SLUG] Fedora 5 w/ CF card won't boot with 2.6.20 kernels

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2007 - 23:47:10 EDT

On 6/20/07, Mario Lombardo <mario@alienscience.com> wrote:
> On 6/20/07, Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> wrote:
> > Mario Lombardo wrote:
> >
> > > I have a machine that currently runs the 2.6.19-1.2288 kernel just
> > > fine, but when I try to run the latest stock kernel, it doesn't get
> > > past this:
> > >
> > > ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> > > ide0: reset: success
> > > had: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> > >
> > > This repeats several times and doesn't seem to stop. As a result, my
> > > computer won't boot from the CF card boot partition, which is
> > > /dev/hda1. This only happens with 2.6.20 kernels and newer.
> > >
> > > Aside from recompiling the kernel, what else should I try? I'm
> > > thinking I should pass arguments to the kernel from grub, or helping
> > > the kernel with an equipped init ramdisk (initrd)? I'm not sure where
> > > to start or what exactly to do though. I'm not even sure what could
> > > be missing that's in the 2.6.19 kernel. Lost here :(
> >

> > Sounds like an IRQ issue. Try booting with:
> >
> > noapic
> > - No APIC (Advanced PIC, needed for SMP)
> > nolapic
> > - No local PIC
> > acpi=noirq
> > - Don't learn IRQ routing from ACPI
> > acpi=off
> > - Disable ACPI altogether
> > irqpoll
> > - Use IRQ polling
> >
> > There are also a number of other fun knobs you also learn to fiddle with
> > to get clock timing to work correctly sometimes:
> >
> > notsc
> > clock=pmtmr
> > noapictimer
> >
> > Honestly, the first thing I would try is booting with "acpi=off" and see
> > if that magically "fixes" things. If not, _then_ try "noapic nolapic"
> > and see if that fixes it. If not, then try adding "irqpoll" and see if
> > that helps. If not, you're in for some fun.
> >
> > The only other thing that comes to mind is "irq unmasking", ala "hdparm
> > -u 1", which shouldn't be enabled by default, but can greatly decrease
> > the system overhead of PATA devices on most IDE controllers (but is
> > horribly broken on older ones, causing IRQ issues like what you might be
> > seeing).
> >
> > This IRQ routing madness with Linux drives me nuts. It's highly
> > motherboard and processor dependant, and makes deploying and managing a
> > farm of commodity PCs interesting to say the least.
> >
> > - Ian C. Blenke <ian@blenke.com> <icblenke@nks.net>

> I'll try that. I guess I'll append the option(?) at the end of the
> grub line that has the kernel listed? I would love ACPI if it worked
> flawlessly on FC5. Perhaps I should try FC6 though. I use "acpitool
> -S" quite often. I may have the syntax wrong there. Anyway, it
> allows me to suspend the system, but then I lose audio when it
> resumes. Weird but I still love the outweighing benefits.
>
> /mario

You're going to love this one :)
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz-2.6.20-1.2300.fc5 ro root=/dev/md1 [added entries here]

Using "acpi=off" (w/o the quotes of course):
.no success

Using "noapic nolapic"
.no success

Using "noapic nolapic irqpoll"
.no success

hdparm -u 1 /dev/hda
won't stick after reboot even with
hdparm -k 1 /dev/hda

Any other ideas? I mean, I can boot fine with 2.6.19. I don't get it.

/mario