Re: [SLUG] connection sharing without a router

From: Chris Mathey (slug@mathey.org)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2007 - 10:03:51 EDT

chris lee wrote:
> i have two computers, a nix box, ubuntu 6.10 and win XP
>
> i want to setup both boxes to have net access but i dont want to use a
> router because of all the port forwarding garbage.
>
> any way to have the nix box connect to my modem, connect the XP box to
> a second NIC card in the nix box and share a connection over that line
> without running into any port forwarding or other issues that could
> block that XP boxes connection?

You would still run into "port forwarding" issues. You are turning the
nix box into the router you are trying to eliminate.

Since you only have 1 internet routable IP address you must do NAT
(actually port address translation, PAT)

Please elaborate on what you mean by "port forwarding issues"
Because you really aren't going to find anything easier than opening up
the router web page and configuring what ports to forward.

-Chris