Re: [SLUG] Tampa OSS Event

From: xcalibre (xcalibre@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2007 - 03:32:16 EDT

-----Original Message-----

Uh, Handing out copies of S.u.S.E. and Xandros are not FREE... Which has happened... So this is a harsh statement to make toward the other event just cause it may feel threating to be more of a success or disrupt the timing of the other event also last I checked neither of those two distros meet SFD guidelines Fully like Unbuntu does...

Also to expand of this there is also things called FREEWARE as well just cause the source is not avaiable does not change the fact it's FREE... Most people honestly do not care if they can modify the code... While it means alot to some many others it does not mean a thing to them cause they just want software and OS's that Work!!!

People do like the idea of being able to put multiple copies of the Software on multiple machies and give an unmodified copy out without facing any Legal Action towards them...

Now back to the Software Freedom Day event if you want it to be TRULY Open Source and FREE then you can not hand out Copies of Commerical Software from Companies who gave it to you as you are not truly representing Software Freedom Day and yet blast the other event without know all the details...

You should know all the details before making that comment...

>Do you just like to try to put people down for your personal enjoyment? Or
>judging before the fact?
>
>It means exactly what it says.
>> If the intention is in fact to promote only software that
>> falls under the FSF's definition of free, why not just build on the
>> momentum of Software Freedom Day to do an event in Florida? It would be
>> worthwhile to use the worldwide effort as a springboard for the publicity
>> alone. Plus, if the local vision is shared by thousands of others all over
>> the world, why duplicate effort to achieve the same goal?
>>
>> Jonathon

How ever why does it have to be SFD event and not the other way??? This sounds a bit one sided as to thinking the SFD is the only thing that should happen...

Also like SFD the other event too could build into larger event and be on the same scale... Again sounding One Sided...

Also it does not necessarly have to be fully duplicated... How ever again it too deserves it's chance to prove it's self... Also again your going by the Website for SFD to promote...

There is other sites you can add more awareness through for BOTH events...

Again SFD is not the only one event that makes an Impact... IF you look at the other shows SLUG has done the CTS shows reached Thousands of People per day... Handing out Thousands of Copies of Software not in just ONE DAY but 2 and 2 1/2 Days!!! Over 5,000 People that's huge...

>That could be a valid point. SFD may or may not fit into everyones ideas,
>certainly too early for me to tell. The group will decide to promote a
>different event, which might end up being in the early part of the year, or
>not.
>
>What I do know is that more Linux events can generate more interest.
>Personally, I don't see a reason for only having one event a year. I know a
>number of people will be very busy on the west coast in September.

The one thing is it takes a team of people regardless of one two or more events... You have to delegate responsibilities and keep track of everything... To make an good impact you have to approach people so they get the only things your selling them on is Linux and the Open Source Community...

A truly successful event will take coordination... Don't wait last minute to decide how it's going to be done... Work as a TEAM!!! Also if someone ask's you if there is any FREE Software to do something just cause it's not Open Source you should not try to tell that person to be quiet... It looks more impressive if you just answer the questions...

Again though yes more Event's will truly help that is a certainty... It's just the more you try to do per year the harder it can be...

I can tell you first hand it's Hard Work and you must also be truly doing it becuase you believe in it and are convicted to help others... The one thing though Jonathon you should try to get Speakers as well... Some one who can put on a Large Presentation or Demo for a large Crowd...

If you review SLUGS History you can see reviews of previous Shows we have done... Also Robin"ROBLIMO"Miller and Tina Gasperson both have done Articles on the Shows we have done in the past and get an Idea on different things we did...

I know we can have multiple Shows and Events and all be successful but to throw dirt on the other Show or event is not the way to make either work...

J.M.H.O.