Re: [SLUG] Newbie Sysadmin's Journal

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2007 - 10:38:05 EDT

Chris Mathey wrote:

<snip>

> I have never installed it but the tutorial above says it works out of
> the box?
>
> To me ISPConfig is overkill for what I have running. I use webmin for
> remote gui stuff. You could learn how to manually configure your
> services via the ISPConfig config files. Personally it would be too much
> to stuff in my head at once. I like learning one daemon at a time. :)
>
> Have you started a straw-man on your system design?

Don't know what this means. Can you clarify?

> Some things I had to think about.
> Bind: caching only or Authoritative for my domain?
> I picked caching only and used my providers DNS servers as DNS
> forwarders. My reason for this is because I have a grandfathered free
> account at dyndns.org. They have redundant DNS servers which manage my
> domain. If I ran authoritative then I would only have 1 server and it
> would be attached to my VPS IP address. With my dyndns.org account
> everything remains portable IP address wise. It is also free for me
> where otherwise you would have to pay $24/year.

I know the difference between A, CNAME and PTR records, but I don't know
enough to know whether I want authoritative or caching or whatever. The
johncompanies folks tell me they'll slave to my nameserver. So I figured
I'd be authoritative for my domains, and let them back me up.

> Web server: Apache or lighttpd.
> I only have 128m/256swap on my vps. Comparatively Apache is
> a pig compared to lighttpd. For my needs lighttpd is perfect. Apache
> wins in the flexibility dept though.

These guys guarantee me 256M RAM (I suspect they're using UML). More
importantly, though, I'd prefer to run something I *know*, which is Apache.

> mail: Postfix. No brainer. With SMTP-AUTH and TLS

I agree on Postfix. Funny thing is that almost every hosting company
I've used uses POP before SMTP, instead of TLS and such. I don't
understand why, since it seems far more complicated to administer.

> spam/virus: amavisd-new and clamav. Sing together in harmony. Seems the
> most popular and well documented setup. It is a memory hog though. The
> largest on my system.

Not too worried about this. I consider spam the customer's problem. If I
have to implement something like this, I'd probably go with SpamAssassin
and just *grade* the mail as opposed to /dev/nulling it.

> IMAP: Dovecot over SSL. This is how I get my mail.

Never used IMAP, I it would mean something else I'd have to learn. Ugh.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster