Re: [SLUG] Bind debugging

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2007 - 13:23:59 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:

> Folks:
>
> Need help debugging my Bind stuff. Here is the pri.civicsusa.com named
> zone file for civicsusa.com:
>
> $TTL 86400
> @ IN SOA 69.55.238.25. admin.civicsusa.com. (

The nameserver in your SOA record is an IP address. This needs to be a
name that resolves to an A record:

@ IN SOA ns1c.johncompanies.com. admin.civicsusa.com. (

> 2007071106 ; serial, todays date +
> todays serial #
> 28800 ; refresh, seconds
> 7200 ; retry, seconds
> 604800 ; expire, seconds
> 86400 ) ; minimum, seconds
> ;
> NS 69.55.238.25. ; Inet Address of
> name server 1
> NS ns1c.johncompanies.com. ; Inet
> Address of name server 2

The problem is with the IP address as a NS record. That is invalid. It
must be a name that resolves to an A record.

What you really mean to do here is:

    IN NS ns1c.johncompanies.com.
    IN NS ns2c.johncompanies.com.

Those names both resolve to A records in the johncompanies.com domain
(also held by the root nameservers for your domain, thanks to your
registrar entry).

> First off, anyone know where there's a write-up of dig's output
> format? Second, why the difference? Is there something wrong with
> civicsusa.com's named zone file?

Dig's output format is pretty standard bind zone format. At least that
what I've always considered it to be,

Check your system logs, you should see an error from bind telling you
that it encountered an error while loading the zone file.

Barring that, you can turn on extended debugging in bind, but that can
become difficult to read when you have a large DNS volume or a large
number of hosted domains.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>