[SLUG] Great article on Linux.com about LUG's

From: David Meyer (sanfrandave@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2007 - 23:30:43 EDT

For those who have not seen the article on Slashdot, Paul Foster was
interviewed and he made a very interesting statement about Linux:

"I've lost a lot of my enthusiasm for Linux," Foster says. "Here's what I
mean by that: when I first got involved, I was stoked. Windows sucked, and
here was something I could tinker with. I could write programs with the free
compiler, and everything was fairly transparent. At that time, Linux was not
exactly the easiest thing to figure out, though. Installs required a lot of
information I didn't know and didn't have to supply to Windows. Fast forward
10 years -- I still use Linux almost exclusively and with no regrets. But
now, I know most of what I need to know to do anything I need to do.
Installs don't require me to know much, the software mostly figures out my
hardware. I love Linux. I'm just not excited about it. It's like buying a
new car. It's cool-looking. It smells like a new car. A few months go by.
You still like your car. But it's now just your car. It's what gets you from
point A to point B. You don't think much about it."

Great quote Paul...and dead-on accurate. I have spoken to many of my
Linux-guru colleagues who feel the exact same way. Most are waiting to see
what the next thing to get them going will be.

You can read the entire article here (http://www.linux.com/feature/118046)