Re: [SLUG] dead or Alive

From: Chris Moore (cmoore@washpat.com)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2007 - 08:21:22 EDT

michael hast wrote:
> Chuck Hast wrote:

>>> You'd think there would be something structured like a central cooling
>>> system, but the size of an in-window AC, where it'd consist of a
>>> microwave-size-or-smaller unit that goes in the room to be cooled,
>>> connected
>>> by coolant hoses to a unit outside that would cool the fluid in the
>>> hoses.
>>> But I've never heard of one.
>>>

>> There are just such units, the condenser is mounted outside with the com-
>> pressor and the evaporator is mounted in the room to be cooled. We had
>> one in our server room in the old GTE Mobilenet building. You install the
>> evaporator in the room up near the ceiling and run the coolant piping out
>> to the exterior where you mount the evaporator/compressor unit.
>>
>> I have seen them more and more lately.
>>
>> As to the units that have hoses to circulate exterior air, most of
>> them I have
>> seen use a window insert that has the two hoses going to it. Or as some-
>> one pointed out, you could just punch a couple of holes in the wall
>> and use
>> drier ports without the flapper valve to direct the air in and out.
>> Make sure
>> you have some sort of mesh over each port, you could keep the flapper
>> valve on the exhaust port, but the inlet will need a screen on it
>> rather than
>> a flapper or your will get critters up in there...
>>

> What are they called, how much do they cost, and where can I get one?

We just got one of the stand up units (portable AC,it's on casters) at
work and it works pretty good. We got it at home depot and it was
between $400-$500. The unit is rated at 10,000 btu's and is supposed to
cool around 400 sq ft. We have it in a 200 sq ft room and it does a good
job at keeping the room in the 70's instead of the 80's, but around 200
sq ft is as big as I'd suggest. One thing to consider is the type of
window that you have because the unit comes with a vent adapter for
sliding windows, we have the old style jalousie window and we had to
make a custom vent that replaced the screen for the window. The other
thing is that you have to drain the unit of water,about every three
hours. I was able to run my drain line through the custom adapter to the
outside so no draining for me. Hope this is helpful. You could always
consider the 'Poor mans AC', a bowl of ice and a fan.

--
Chris Moore
cmoore@washpat.com