[SLUG] laptop battery etc.

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Aug 19 2007 - 23:06:49 EDT

I got an external battery for my laptop (HP Compaq nc6400). Fine, the
Gnome power widget says I have two batteries. Gkrellm agrees. Cool.
But, the second one listed (and I don't know which that is, though a shut
down - remove - boot cycle would tell me) isn't being used AFAICT. The
first is down to 65% and the second is up at 99%. Do I have to switch them
manually using ACPI? How do I do that? The widget also says my runtime is
in the high 5:xx range, and it's been there for the last half hour
(basically, since I unplugged). This is consistent with the battery used
being the internal one.

Also, I installed VMware Player, and the sound broke. The login screen
drumbeats still work, but the "you've logged in" chord doesn't. Ideas?

And, I added me to the "vmware" group with "sudo groupmod -G vmware eben"
and now sudo doesn't work. I assume I have to whip out the rescue disk and
do something simple, but what? Guessing, "eben" was in some group that gave
him super-neato powers...

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    http://royalty.mine.nu:81
SCORPIO:  Get ready for an unexpected trip when you fall screaming