[SLUG] reading drives...

From: Michael Hast (evylrobot@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 26 2007 - 20:36:11 EDT

Hey, all.

As usual, I have decided to do things the hard way. I decided to upgrade
from Debian Sarge to Etch a couple of weeks ago. Of course, I didn't read
the recomended method by which to do this, but jumped in with both feet,
shooting from the hip, like some kind of geeky, blood-raged cowboy. Anyway,
I screwed up my install by breaking a multitude of packages, and decided to
download and install Etch from scratch. I backed up all of my files to CD
and DVD, and went to town. I keep most of my files on my "/home/shared"
partition, anyway (hdb6), and thought that I could edit this partition back
into my /etc/fstab, and not lose said files. Well, it didn't work. I
actually copied my /etc/fstab file to another machine on the network, so
that I could use it as a reference for the mount point and options, and
after editing that partition in exactly as it had been before, I still
cannot browse into it. I know that there has got to be a way to do this,
but I'm at a loss as to where to go. Any help would be vastly appreciated.
If it makes a difference, it's Debian 4.0, kernel 2.6.x, with KDE 3.5 on a
P4. Thanks!

--Michael