Re: [SLUG] Linux Virtual Organ

From: Pete Theisen (petetheisen@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2007 - 22:46:11 EDT

On Tuesday 28 August 2007 19:11, Ron Youvan wrote:
> > it loads a "sound font" for every stop that the player draws)
<snip>
> I'm not into MIDI but I have a friend that is, he had a MIDI keyboarded
> connected to a i286 with 64 Meg-A-Bytes and a 40 mg hard drive, 10 or 15
> years ago and he could play the keyboard, record a file and hear it,
> then he could play it back and edit the file. (cakewalk?)
> He had a stand alone MIDI to audio interface box but, he could use
> his audio card for that. With it he didn't need the computer at all,
> except to record the playing or play an old file.
>
> What can 8 GIG add to this? If you don't have enough RAM use a swap
>partition.

Hi Ron!

The virtual organ could have a 50 rank chorus in a medium registration. Each
note of each 61 to 96 note rank is in memory. The notes have complex
harmonics, too. Swap might work with a really, really fast drive and a
really, really fast processor, but memory has worked better for the guys who
have done it, so far.

--
Regards,

Pete http://www.pete-theisen.com/ ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.