[SLUG] preserving a full DVD w/ compression

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2007 - 15:55:41 EDT

I'm enjoying copying my DVD movies onto my laptop so that I needn't
worry about them being damaged. However, copying a full DVD takes up
a lot of space, sometimes in the neighborhood of 7GB or greater.
Compression is great, but occasionally I wish to indulge in the
benefits of a full DVD, like trailers, director narratives, extra
features and the likes.

How can I preserve the full DVD content, menu intact, while having the
portability of excellent compression as with some codecs?

/mario