Re: [SLUG] reading drives...

From: T Michael Hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2007 - 20:56:14 EDT

JzG wrote:
> Just to clarify - can you mount the partition manually?
>
> <snip>
>

> > > Hey, all.
> > >
> > > As usual, I have decided to do things the hard way. I decided
> to upgrade
> > > from Debian Sarge to Etch a couple of weeks ago. Of course, I
> didn't read
> > > the recomended method by which to do this, but jumped in with
> both feet,
> > > shooting from the hip, like some kind of geeky, blood-raged
> cowboy. Anyway,
> > > I screwed up my install by breaking a multitude of packages,
> and decided to
> > > download and install Etch from scratch. I backed up all of my
> files to CD
> > > and DVD, and went to town. I keep most of my files on my
> "/home/shared"
> > > partition, anyway (hdb6), and thought that I could edit this
> partition back
> > > into my /etc/fstab, and not lose said files. Well, it didn't
> work. I
> > > actually copied my /etc/fstab file to another machine on the
> network, so
> > > that I could use it as a reference for the mount point and
> options, and
> > > after editing that partition in exactly as it had been before,
> I still
> > > cannot browse into it. I know that there has got to be a way
> to do this,
> > > but I'm at a loss as to where to go. Any help would be vastly
> appreciated.
> > > If it makes a difference, it's Debian 4.0, kernel 2.6.x, with
> KDE 3.5 on a
> > > P4. Thanks!
> > >
> > > --Michael
> > >

> > In the past I had a similar problem.
> > I reloaded an OS and could not "browse" by habit.
> >
> > Where you using a auto-mount utility with Sarge?
> > If the command was in fstab but the utility was not loaded...?
> >
> > From a console can you mount hdb6...
> > as root and "ls" to see the contents?
> > how about as user?
> >
> I had a similar problem when I moved the home directory to a new
> HD I did
> it as a non-root user so it changed all of the permissions to
> those of the
> user that I used when I did the move. I had to go back in and
> change them
> all back to what they were supposed to be. I could see home but
> unless I
> was root I could not get into it.

<snip>

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this stuff, everybody. My
computer is a little depressing to me at the moment... But, enough
sulking! Please bear with me here, as I am a little weak on the command
line. But, I'll do my best to answer questions concerning my problem:
Yes, Sarge was auto-mounting the partition.
What utility? How do I find out whether that is loaded or not?
I tried to mount the partition from a console as user and as root. Both
times, it told me that: a) it did not exist or: b) I did not have
permissions to it.
I have been unable to mount the partition in any way shape or form.
If I go into the KDE file manager, it shows the partition as a drive.

Uh...

Nevermind. I seem to have fixed it. I'm really not sure, but it's
working now. I'll let you know if it acts up again.

Oh, wait.

That was the wrong partition. That was my Windows partition. Yup.
None of the same messing around is working on the partition that I
actually want to mount. It's coming back with all this crap about
permissions denied and all. To tell you the truth, this is why one
should back up all files prior to screwing with stuff. And honestly, I
have it all backed up on CD and DVD. I should probably break down and
do a reinstall. I just didn't want it to come to that. Input? Thanks!

--Michael